Better Posture, Better Health.
How Can I Treat Chronic Back Pain?
According to research, 90% of middle-aged to elderly people are suffering from back pain. Back pain can be divided into many forms, from short-term pain to chronic pain that comes from a variety of causes whether it is a sprain bone pain or pain caused by an accident. In some cases, the back pain may be caused by being overweight as well.
Chronic Back Pain
Uncomplicated muscle soreness generally resolves in less than a week but if you have back pain continuously for more than 2 weeks onwards or have other complications such as weakness, numbness, fever, history of trauma, unintentional weight loss, history of cancer, steroid use and intravenous drug use, you should consult with a doctor to identify the cause of pain and get treatment before chronic back pain occurs. However, chronic back pain is considered as one of the key symptoms of Office Syndrome. Myofascial Pain Syndrome is caused by repetitive work on the same muscle for a long period of time resulting in muscle inflammation and pain in various sites.
How to Prevent Chronic Back Pain?
The following methods will help prevent back pain. In order not to let it happen again, start doing these methods yourself.
Many of you may think you should not exercise while you are suffering back pain. But in fact exercise is one of the best things you can do for your back pain. Stretching exercises can help you improve mobility at some stiffness areas of your body such as your lower back and have a lot of benefits to not only your back pain symptoms but also improve your overall health status. And the exercises should be considered by a professional.
- Control Body Weight
Being overweight can result in back pain as the main function of the back muscle is to support the body stability and it should be controlled to be within the standard with nutritious food and exercising regularly to help prevent back pain.
- Take a Break
If you sit in any position for too long it can result in back pain. Try to rest for 10 minutes every 1 hour, and change the sitting position correctly. This can help prevent back pain.
- Keep the Body Posture Properly
Whether it’s sitting, standing, walking, or lying down, getting the right body posture until it becomes habitual is important. Because in addition to helping you to look better, it will also help prevent pain in different parts of the body as well.
Physical therapy is the therapy to restore and strengthen the ability to use the body with various techniques through the audit method and treating the deficiencies of the body caused by the condition of the disease or abnormal movements. However, physical therapy may help relieve pain recovering from injury and help keep the body in balance.
Techniques and Methods of Physical Therapy
Physical therapy focuses on rehabilitation of various ailments with behavior modification together with exercise or use physical therapy tools such as:
- The science of massage to relax after exercise (Sport massage)
It is a muscle massage for exercisers or those who have been using heavy muscles and it is different from other massages. The relaxation massage after exercise will focus on deep muscle massage. In sport massage, various techniques are used so that people who exercise can use their muscles to their fullest potential and reduce the likelihood of injury while exercising
- Ultrasound Therapy
Ultrasound therapy is the usage of high frequency sound waves to reduce pain, swelling or inflammation of tissues. It accelerates tissue repair and loosen tense muscles as well as increasing the flexibility of the joints in the deep layers. It can also be used to help in the treatment of office syndrome as well.
- Shockwave Energy Therapy
Shockwave therapy has the ability to stimulate the injured fascia so that the body can create new muscle cells and helps to break down the fascia and loosen the muscle layer. Shockwave energy has the ability to relieve chronic pain.
Physical Therapy Procedures
Physical therapy is one of the important steps in helping to restore the bones and muscles of the body through the use of techniques such as the science of massage, relaxation after exercise (Sport massage), ultrasound therapy and shockwave therapy, etc. The treatments in addition to physical therapy, also include
- Assessment of the body structure to determine the cause of illness, pain, muscle inflammation, chronic pain and the balance of the body.
- Building knowledge and understanding to adjust working posture as appropriate for individual.
- Educating and promoting exercise continuously in the right way so that the muscles are strong and flexible in order to prevent muscle injuries
Who Should Get Physical Therapy?
Physical therapy can be performed both before and after having abnormal symptoms as physical therapy is about taking care of and restoring the functioning systems of different parts of the body such as muscles, bones and blood circulation in order to work more efficiently
- Office syndrome patients : Many symptoms like painful symptoms related to the musculoskeletal system can affect daily life or cause movement impairment. These symptoms can be treated with physical therapy to restore the patient to be able to return to daily life as usual.
- People with chronic back pain: There are many types of physical therapy to reduce chronic back pain such as ultrasound, electrical stimulation, or physical therapy with muscle relaxation including adjusting the patient’s daily posture to be correct
- People with neck and shoulder pain : Physical therapy can treat and relieve aches and pains so that everyone can go on with their daily lives as usual. The doctor will make a diagnosis and consider the appropriate treatment for each patient by focusing on treatment at the root cause of symptoms including alleviating pain to a minimum
However, visit Primocare Medical Clinic to identify and assess the body structure to treat aches and pain and myositis chronic pain. We are ready to take care of your health completely with prevention and maintaining physical health by exercise management with the use of specialized tools. You can inquire or make an appointment in advance here.
16 Ways to Avoid Back Pain
9 Tips for Better Posture
What to Know About Myofascial Release Therapy