Better Posture, Better Health.
Importance of Eating Right Pattern To Strengthen The Body
Food refers to what the body takes in both matter and energy and the synthesis process occurs until the body can use it for benefit. Therefore, eating the right pattern properly should be considered especially how the food you are about to eat will benefit or harm you in order to get the body to get complete nutrition.
Criteria for Choosing Right Eating Pattern
According to Thaihealth Watch 2022, Thai people prefer to eat high-fat foods, processed foods, and bottled beverages and don’t eat enough fruits and vegetables which affects health in the long run, especially the risk of getting sick with NCDs may affect the mortality rate of Thai people. Check out the criteria for selection of healthy food as follows:
- Type: Have a variety of food from all 5 food groups. Foods that are harmful to the body such as fried food, potato chips, desserts, coffee, alcohol, additives, preservatives, and various processed foods should be avoided.
- Amount: The daily consumption should not be exceeding as follows: Sugar – 150 calories per day, Fat – 20g to 30g of saturated fat per day and Salt – 2,300mg
- Time: Enjoy the meal. Try not to eat between meals. You can do intermittent fasting as well.
- Focus on eating foods such as vegetables, fruits, whole grains. and suitable protein: Have protein from plants, such as beans, and reduce the consumption of foods that are high in saturated fat, such as fat from certain meats, including fat in milk, butter, cheese, lard, palm oil, etc. Increase the consumption of lean meats such as fish like tuna, chicken breasts, as well as eating good fats such as olive oil, sesame seeds and flaxseed.
- Reduce the consumption amount of processed foods: Processed foods that should reduce consumption include sausages, bacon, ham, as they contain a lot of salt, saturated fat and there are carcinogenic substances that occur in the food preservation process. When preparing for your own food, avoid salt, sugar, and saturated fat.
- Drink water instead of of sugary drinks: Water can help quench your thirst and resolve dehydration without consuming excess calories. However, if you want a replacement drink, you can drink plant-based drinks that do not contain sugar, such as soy milk, almond milk, coffee, tea (without sugar) or fat-free milk without sugar, etc.
- Always read the label: Labels will provide more accurate information to make good food purchase decisions, especially ingredients such as calorie content, nutritional proportions, nutrients, expiration dates and amounts of nutrients that are harmful if taken in large amounts, such as salt, sugar, saturated oils, etc.
- Eat mindfully: Always know your status if you’re full or still hungry
- Cook by yourself in the kitchen: Cooking helps develop good eating habits because it can control the amount of salt, sugar and various seasonings. In addition, cooking helps to learn new skill and it might help to reduce consumption of processed foods
- Dining with others: Eat with other people like friends or family. It creates a good environment for eating, making you happier.
If you are looking to consult a doctor to adjust lifestyle behavior for better health or to consult for the personalized meal plan for the diabetic, come down to get advice at PrimoCare Medical Clinic to join the Personalized Lifestyle Medicine program designed for individuals. You can inquire or make an appointment in advance here.